Having braces doesn’t necessarily entail highly visible metal brackets and wires. In fact, many of today’s braces are made from either clear or natural tooth-colored materials to provide patients with an attractive, less noticeable alternative to traditional braces.
What are the differences between clear braces and clear aligners?
Clear braces are the same as traditional metal braces, except they are clear! Clear braces are a less noticeable alternative to traditional metal braces, and they provide patients with an equally effective treatment.
Clear aligners are different from clear braces. They consist of pieces of hard plastic designed to fit into your mouth like a mouthguard. Clear aligners are great for patients who require minor orthodontic treatment.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of clear braces?
As with any orthodontic treatment, it is important to choose the right option for your needs and lifestyle. Clear braces are a great alternative to traditional metal braces; however, you and your orthodontist will know if they are the right treatment for you.
Advantages of clear braces
- Appearance: Ceramic braces and clear braces are much less noticeable than traditional metal braces. Clear and ceramic braces offer an aesthetic alternative for patients who desire an alternative to traditional metal braces.
- Confidence: Many patients who choose ceramic or clear braces feel more confident about their orthodontic treatment, especially knowing that people are focusing on their smiles rather than their braces.
Disadvantages to clear braces
- Cost: Ceramic and clear braces may cost more than traditional metal braces. Your orthodontist may offer convenient payment plans to help control the costs of your treatment. Be sure to talk to your orthodontist about all your financial options.
- Discoloration: The clear elastic ties used with clear and ceramic braces may become slightly discolored from tea, coffee, or wine as well as certain foods or smoking. Ask your orthodontist about how you can keep your braces looking their best.
- Treatment Time: Orthodontic treatment with clear or ceramic braces may take longer than traditional metal braces. If you don’t mind investing a little more time in your smile, then talk to your orthodontist to find out how long your treatment time will be with clear or ceramic braces.
Are clear or ceramic braces the right choice for my smile and me?
By talking to your orthodontist, you can decide if clear or ceramic braces are the right treatment for you. Your orthodontist can provide answers to your questions as well as extra information that explains the benefits of each treatment. If you would like to learn more about clear braces, ceramic braces, and all the options available to you, please contact our practice and schedule an appointment today.
In our continuous effort to provide the very best orthodontic treatment for our patients, we are proud to use PROPEL® in our practice.
PROPEL “fast tracks” orthodontic treatments for both braces and clear aligners. This exciting technology allows us to get most patients finished in about half the time. While each patient varies, many patients can now have their orthodontic treatment completed in less than a year.
PROPEL® works with the patient’s own biology by stimulating the bone surrounding the teeth; helping the teeth to move faster and more predictably into their ideal position. This allows patients to see their new smiles faster and requires fewer visits to our office. We provide PROPEL for Invisalign and braces, offering complimentary consultations to all. If you would like to accelerate your orthodontic treatment today, ask us about PROPEL!